HOOFSTORIES: •   Man deur renoster aangeval   •   Gholflandgoed dorp se wit olifant   •   Hoës verskyn in hof   •   Jong skoolmeisie steeds vermis   •   Seuntjie (5) verloor vinger ná slangbyt   •   Munisipaliteit moet sake regruk   •   Slagoffer van plaasaanval sterk goed aan   •   Dorpsdam sorgwekkend leeg   •   Hoërskool kry nuwe hoof   •   Jagter agter slot en grendel   •   Groot fees vir Modimolle beplan   •   Skerp draai eis nog 'n lewe   •   Hoërskoolleerder wil Kaapstad help   •   Run and cycle for sports development



Inquest into Sibongile Mahlangu’s (5) death continues in court

   06 October 2017   l   Justin Steyn    l   Views: 116   l   4 months ago  


Photo for illustration purposes only.

The inquest into the death of Sibongile “Bobo” Mahlangu (5) was set to continue in the Bela-Bela Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday, 24 October.

The court has confirmed that the inquest started on Tuesday, 29 August, and would continue next month.

The Beat, our sister publication, previously reported that little Sibongile was allegedly fatally wounded after a shot went off from a .38 special revolver on the premises of a privately-owned farm near Bela-Bela. 

The incident took place on Saturday 24 August 2013.

It was alleged then that the trigger was pulled by a minor, from the revolver belonging to her grandfather.

His name has since been withheld in order to protect the identity of the minor in terms of the Child Protection Act.

On Friday 1 August 2014, the grandfather was sentenced to 12 months’ corrective parole. 

On the day of his sentencing the court ruled that Sibongile’s death was the result of negligence by the grandfather.

During his sentencing, the court ruled that the grandfather was not permitted to leave his house for the 12 months. 

He was also ordered to perform 16 hours of community service every month, and attend courses prescribed by his parole officer.

He was also prohibited from consuming alcohol and medication unless prescribed by a medical practitioner. 

He was also forbidden to change his residential address without notifying his parole officer and was declared unfit to have any firearm in his possession.

The magistrate presiding over the inquest and the state and defence counsel went on an inspection in loco at the farm on Friday, 15 September.




To leave a comment you need to login / register first


Ander stories